- WHAT IS OVERWHELM?
- THE 6 REAL CAUSES OF OVERWHELM?
- HOW TO REDUCE OVERWHELM.
Over committing is a real struggle for ambitious leaders everywhere. Eager to get ahead to land the deal, to increase revenue, we often overlook our own boundaries in the name of success.
THE 6 REAL CAUSES OF OVERWHELM
- A lack of clarity to what truly is a priority and important to you. When we lack clarity, we lack influence over ourselves and others. The result being that others have way too much influence over us
- A mistaken belief that in order to have it all, you need to do it all. We can’t have it all until we define what “all” is to us.
- An addiction to making success hard and painful because if it’s too easy, then you feel like you don’t deserve it.
- Tying your worth to your busyness. You should be doing less to achieve more.
- Having very little awareness around what gets results in your life. This causes you to spin out, to be overwhelmed, and do all the things.
- Underneath the surface, these feelings of overwhelm and the behaviors that lead to overwork are serving you in some way.
HOW TO REDUCE OVERWHELM
- Create awareness. Ask yourself on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the most, how overwhelmed do you feel right now?
- Identify a plan. You are going to identify one thing that’s going to take you from a 10 to a 9.
- Take the action. Do the one thing that’s going to take you from a 10 to a 9.
- Repeat. Repeat the first three steps as often and as frequently as you need to really bring yourself down step by step by step and give yourself a lot of grace in this process.
“Overwhelm, overwork and overcommitment is truly an epidemic. It doesn’t discriminate.”
“You can’t “have it all” until you define what “all” is to you.”
“Overwhelm is an opportunity for us to reevaluate our boundaries and how we’re doing at upholding them.”
“It is completely possible to go from feeling buried under a huge mass to defeating that feeling completely.”
The Bold Leadership Revolution Episode 2: Leading From the Inside Out
Essentialism written by Greg McKeown
The Bold Leadership Revolution
Subscribe on iTunes here
Click here to download the podcast notes and worksheet